Overview:
Two teenage suspects opened fire at an Islamic center in San Diego, killing three men before killing themselves.
This article is not available for republication.
SAN DIEGO (AP) – Authorities say two teenage suspects opened fire at an Islamic center in San Diego, killing three men before killing themselves. According to Police Chief Scott Wahl, the suspects were found dead in a vehicle stopped in the middle of a road nearby. A security guard was among the victims. Wahl also said that the slayings are being investigated as a hate crime.
Aerial television footage earlier showed a heavy police presence outside the mosque on Monday afternoon.
The mosque is in a heavily residential neighborhood about 9 miles north of downtown San Diego. Its website says it is the largest mosque in San Diego County, and the campus includes the Al Rashid School, which offers courses in Arabic language, Islamic studies, and the Quran.
The Center’s director says the mosque focuses on interfaith relations
Imam Taha Hassane, the Islamic Center’s Director (San Diego), says it also works to build relations in the community. He told a news conference that a group of non-Muslims had been touring the mosque earlier Monday to learn about the Muslim faith.
The Center’s website says its mission is to not only serve the Muslim population but also “work with the larger community to serve the less fortunate, educate, and better our nation.” Five daily prayers are held there, and the mosque works with other organizations and people of all faiths on social causes.
Gov. Gavin Newsom’s office says he is being briefed
“We are grateful to the first responders on the scene working to protect the community and urge everyone to follow guidance from local authorities,” his office posted on the social platform X.
This is a developing story.


/2026/05/18/6a0ae714a0419900623036.jpg)



