The United States and Iran are seeking to finalize a deal after reporting a breakthrough in their talks to end the war. “I think it may be possible that in the next few hours the world will receive some good news,” he said on Sunday. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio. Donald Trump had earlier mentioned a “largely negotiated” compromise.
After more than a month of conflict which left thousands dead, a ceasefire has been in force since April 8 between Iran and the United States, but the world economy continues to be shaken by the virtual blockage of the strategic Strait of Hormuz. According to the media Americans, the agreement would provide for the reopening of Hormuz, de facto blocked by Tehran since the start of the war, triggered by the Israeli-American attack against Iran on February 28.
It would allow ships to cross Hormuz again, a passage through which a fifth of the hydrocarbons consumed in the world before the conflict transited. Iranian sources familiar with the negotiations, cited by the Iranian news agency Fars, affirm that the agreement does provide for an unblocking of the Strait, but that the latter would remain controlled by Iran.
Disagreements over frozen assets
According to CBS News, citing sources close to the discussions, the latest proposal would include freezing certain Iranian assets in banks abroad and continuing negotiations for another 30 days. On this subject, Iran stressed that there would be no agreement unless part of its frozen assets is released at the first stage and a clear mechanism is established to guarantee the release of other blocked funds, according to a “informed source” cited by the Tasnim press agency.
According to her, if no final agreement has yet been found, it is in particular because of the disagreements on this issue. The Fars agency reports that sanctions targeting oil, gas and other petrochemical products would also be lifted while negotiations continue in order to allow Iran to export these productions, which are essential for its economy.
The agreement discussed, however, does not seem to resolve the nuclear issue. The spokesperson for the Iranian Foreign Ministry, Esmaël Baghaï, suggested on Saturday that this subject was not part “at this stage” of the agreement under discussion and that it would be addressed during “separate discussions”. But the New York Timesciting two unnamed US officials, says a central point of the deal will be a “commitment by Tehran to give up its stockpile of highly enriched uranium.” The manner in which the Islamic Republic will give up its stock will, however, be discussed during “an upcoming round of negotiations on the Iranian nuclear program,” adds the American daily.
Israel would like a resumption of fighting
Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, mediator in these negotiations, fueled the scenario this Sunday of a resolution of the conflict in several stages, declaring that he hoped to “welcome the next negotiation session very soon”. A first unsuccessful session of talks was held in Islamabad on April 11 between senior American and Iranian officials.
On Saturday, the American president indicated on his Truth Social platform that he had spoken by telephone with leaders of Gulf states, but also of Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, and Pakistan. The American president also said he spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a “separate” call which Donald Trump said went well. The American media have reported in recent days divergent strategies between the billionaire and his Israeli ally, the first pushing for a diplomatic solution while the second would like to resume fighting.
Unpopular war
The apparent rapprochement of the belligerents came after weeks of blockades and threats. Earlier on Saturday, Donald Trump had estimated the chances of a “good” agreement or a resumption of war at “50-50”, speaking to the Axios media. The same day, Iran’s top negotiator, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, promised a “crushing” response if the United States resumed its war against Iran. He had just met the head of the Pakistani army, Field Marshal Asim Munir, in Tehran as part of Islamabad’s mediation efforts.
The chief of staff of the Pakistani army, Marshal Asim Muni (left), also met with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian. Photo Sipa/AP-s-est-aussi-entretenu-avec-le-president-iranien-masoud-pezeshkian-photo-sipa-ap-1779603628.jpg)
The British Prime Minister, Keir Starmer, welcomed this Sunday “progress” towards an agreement, as did the President of the European Commission. “We need an agreement that truly defuses the conflict, reopens the Strait of Hormuz and guarantees full freedom of navigation without toll. Iran must not be allowed to develop a nuclear weapon,” declared Ursula von der Leyen.
On the Lebanese front, despite the ceasefire that came into force on April 17, the Israeli army, which lost a 22ème soldier since the start of the war with pro-Iranian Hezbollah, has increased raids and calls to evacuate in southern Lebanon. In Nabatiyé, the Lebanese civil defense deplored on Sunday the destruction of its regional center in an Israeli strike.


/2023/06/26/64993729e7732_yann-thompson-e1464e0319.png)


/2026/05/24/6a12c2e5112d5192171023.jpg)