Home War War in the Middle East: Mecca pilgrimage attracts more visitors than in...

War in the Middle East: Mecca pilgrimage attracts more visitors than in 2025 despite conflict

7
0

Despite the war in the Middle East, more than 1.5 million Muslim pilgrims arrived from abroad in Saudi Arabia for the hajj to Mecca.

More than 1.5 million Muslim pilgrims have arrived in Saudi Arabia from abroad for the hajj, according to a local official, already surpassing last year’s number of visitors despite the war in the Middle East.

“The total number of visitors now stands at 1,518,153,” Saleh al-Murabba, commander of the hajj border police force, said at a press conference Friday evening. A figure which should increase further by the start of the pilgrimage on Monday.

1,673,320 pearls

In 2025, 1,673,320 pilgrims had made the trip, including 1,506,576 from abroad.

This year, the hajj is being held against the backdrop of fears of a resumption of the conflict, which saw the Islamic Republic target its Gulf neighbors, allies of Washington, in retaliation for the Israeli-American attack on Tehran on February 28. These hostilities have led to a drop in tourism in these countries, air disruptions and a surge in the cost of travel.

War in the Middle East: Mecca pilgrimage attracts more visitors than in 2025 despite conflict
War in the Middle East: Iran has not said its last word

After weeks of airspace closure and flight cancellations, the major airlines of the United Arab Emirates, Qatar and Bahrain were able to restore a large part of their operational capacities.

The hajj, a series of codified rites taking place over several days in Mecca and its surroundings, is one of the five pillars of Islam. It must be undertaken by every Muslim at least once in their life if they have the means.