Home War DIRECT. War in the Middle East: two Lebanese killed; humanitarian situation in...

DIRECT. War in the Middle East: two Lebanese killed; humanitarian situation in Gaza “catastrophic”

7
0

RECAP’. The results on the 84th day of the conflict

  • Italy, France, the United Kingdom and Germany called on Israel to stop expanding its colonies in the occupied West Bank, condemning settler violence and warning companies applying for construction contracts.

  • After the Pakistani Minister of the Interior at the start of the week, it is the head of the army of this country, mediator of the discussions, who is in Tehran to try to put an end to the war between Iran and the United States.

  • Two Israeli strikes killed ten people – including six rescuers and a little girl – in southern Lebanon, announced the Lebanese Ministry of Health, despite the ceasefire between Israel and pro-Iranian Hezbollah.

9:20 p.m. – Rome, Paris, Berlin and London urge Israel to stop settlement expansion

Italy, France, the United Kingdom and Germany have called on Israel to stop expanding its settlements in the occupied West Bank, condemning settler violence and warning companies bidding for construction contracts.

“We call on the Israeli government to end settlement expansion and its administrative powers, ensure that settler violence is held accountable, and investigate allegations against Israeli forces.â€insist the four countries in a joint press release, recalling that “Israeli settlements in the West Bank are illegal”. “Over the past few months, the situation in the West Bank has deteriorated significantly. Settler violence has reached unprecedented levels »underline European leaders.

8:15 p.m. – Ten dead in Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon

Two Israeli strikes killed ten people – including six rescuers and a little girl – in southern Lebanon, the Lebanese health ministry announced, despite the ceasefire between Israel and pro-Iranian Hezbollah. “A strike on the village of Deir Qanoune al-Nahr, in the Tyre regionâ€killed six people, including two rescue workers affiliated with the Shiite Amal movement, an ally of Hezbollah, as well as a young Syrian girl, according to the authorities.

One of the rescuers killed also worked as a freelance photographer. The previous night, another strike targeted the town of Hanaouay, near Tyre, killing four rescue workers affiliated with Hezbollah, again according to the ministry.

6:47 p.m. – Flotilla for Gaza: the French report violence and humiliation

Several French pro-Palestinian activists from “Gaza Flotilla”captured in the Mediterranean by Israel then expelled to Turkey, reported on Friday, on their return to France, « violences », « attouchements » et “humiliations” imposed by Israeli forces during their detention. Under the cries “And long live the struggle of the Palestinian people” launched by the dozens of people who came to welcome them, eight French people arrived this afternoon at Charles-de-Gaulle airport in Roissy.

Having left Turkey, the approximately 430 activists of the “Global Sumud Flotilla” (“sumud” signifies « résilience » in Arabic) wanted to draw attention to the humanitarian situation in the Gaza Strip, devastated by more than two years of war, by breaking the maritime blockade imposed by Israel.

5:30 p.m. – Pakistani army chief on his way to Tehran

Pakistani army chief Asim Munir is on his way to Tehran on Friday, security sources in Pakistan, a mediating country in negotiations aimed at ending the war between Iran and the United States, said. Since the entry into force of a fragile truce on April 8 after more than a month of conflict, only one unsuccessful negotiation session was held on April 11 in Islambad.

Since then, discussions have continued behind the scenes and on Thursday the American Secretary of State Marco Rubio said he hoped that this visit by Asim Munir would « avancer les choses »after that at the beginning of the week by the Pakistani Minister of the Interior.

3:34 p.m. – Rome, Paris, Berlin and London urge Israel to stop colonization

Italy, France, the United Kingdom and Germany called on Israel to stop expanding its settlements in the West Bank, condemned settler violence and warned companies bidding for construction contracts.

“We call on the Israeli government to end settlement expansion and its administrative powers, ensure that settler violence is held accountable, and investigate allegations against Israeli forces.”indicate the four countries in a joint press release, recalling that “Israeli settlements in the West Bank are illegal”.

3:02 p.m. – WFP forced to stop collaboration with Turkish NGO in Gaza

Israel ordered the World Food Program (WFP) to suspend its collaboration in the Gaza Strip with a Turkish NGO accused of being a « organisation terroriste » et d’être liée aux “flotillas for Gazaâ€.

“WFP has been instructed by Israeli authorities to immediately suspend fuel supplies and all activities with its partner IHH, cutting off aid to more than 166,000 people who depend on daily hot meals, bread and food support to survive.”according to a spokesperson.

WFP began working with this humanitarian organization in January 2024 in Gaza, after a process « rigoureux » verification of its activities, he said. Some 110,000 meals per day will no longer be provided and the “Crucial support for around 55,000 pregnant and breastfeeding women and young children at risk of malnutrition” will stop, the PAM spokesperson was alarmed.

12:31 p.m. – Shortage of medical supplies in Gaza

Serious shortages of medical equipment are preventing hospitals and health centers from fully functioning in Gaza, the WHO has warned, denouncing Israeli restrictions on the entry of these essential supplies.

During a press briefing in Geneva, the representative of the World Health Organization (WHO) in the Palestinian territories, Reinhilde Van de Weerdt, explained that 53% of hospitals and 58% of health centers are operational but only partially.

On La Croix today

This is largely because “They are faced with criticisms of the shortages of medicines and medical materials”she explained. The WHO representative explained that “Le problème” lay in the fact that some of the medical supplies “are classified by Israel as dual-use goodsâ€.

h 10 – Lebanon defends the loyalty of its soldiers

The Lebanese army has affirmed that the loyalty of its soldiers goes « uniquement à l’institution »after American sanctions targeting, in an unprecedented manner, one of its officers for disclosing information to the pro-Iranian Hezbollah at war with Israel.

All officers and soldiers “accomplish their national missions with exemplary professionalism (…) and discipline, in accordance with the decisions (…) of the army commandâ€indicated the military command in a press release.

This is the first official response to the American sanctions, which for the first time target two officers, including a member of the army.

11 h 42 – 50 % chance of an agreement according to the Admirals

An official of the United Arab Emirates estimated 50-50 the chances for the United States and Iran to find an agreement to unblock the Strait of Hormuz.

Iranian officials “have missed a lot of opportunities in recent years due to a tendency to overestimate their cardsâ€added the senior advisor to the UAE president Anwar Gargash, traveling to Prague for the Globsec security conference. “I hope they don’t do it again this time.”.

11:06 a.m. – Six dead in Israeli strike

Six people, including two rescue workers and a young girl, were killed in an Israeli strike in southern Lebanon, the Lebanese health ministry announced, despite the ceasefire in force between Israel and pro-Iranian Hezbollah.

“A strike on the village of Deir Qanoune al-Nahr, in the Tyre regionâ€killed six people, including two rescue workers affiliated with the Shiite Amal movement, an ally of Hezbollah, as well as a young Syrian girl, the ministry said in a press release. One of the rescuers killed also worked as a freelance photographer.

During the night from Thursday to Friday, an Israeli strike also targeted the town of Hanaouay, near Tyre, killing four rescue workers affiliated with Hezbollah, according to the ministry.

10 h 40 – L’Otan doit « répondre » aux « inquiétudes » de Trump sur le Moyen-Orient

The head of American diplomacy Marco Rubio told his NATO allies that it will be necessary “Answer” to “Anxieties” by Donald Trump on the Middle East.

“The president’s feelings – frankly, his concern about some of our NATO allies and their reaction to our operations in the Middle East – are well known; it will need to be answered, but it will neither be resolved nor addressed today.”said the Secretary of State.

The American president has not let up since the Europeans refused to get involved with him in the war he launched with Israel against Iran.

9 h 05 – Téhéran condamne les sanctions « illégales » de Washington

The Iranian Foreign Ministry condemned the US sanctions against Iran’s ambassador-designate to Lebanon, calling them« illégales »according to a press release from the ministry. “The ministry strongly condemned the illegal and unjustified action of the US Treasury Department sanctioning Mohammad Reza Raouf Sheibani, Ambassador-designate of Iran in Beirut.”indicates the press release.

On Thursday, the United States announced that it was placing on its list of people and entities under sanctions Mohammad Reza Raouf Sheibani and eight other individuals, accused of being close to or members of the leadership of Hezbollah and“Hindering peace and disarmament” of the Lebanese pro-Iranian movement.

6 h 44 – Israël tue deux hommes « suspects » au Liban

The Israeli army announced early that it had killed two men in southern Lebanon, near its border. These “Armed individuals who were moving suspiciously a few hundred meters from Israeli territory” were killed during an airstrike, this source said on Telegram.

The official Lebanese agency Ani also reported four health personnel killed in a nighttime Israeli strike on the town of Hanawiya near Tyre.

Israeli strikes have cost the lives of 3,089 people in this country, including 116 rescuers and health personnel, since the start of hostilities on March 2, according to a count from the Lebanese Ministry of Health on Thursday. For its part, Israel deplores the death of 22 soldiers.

6 h 15 – The humanitarian situation is “catastrophic” in Gaza

More than six months after the adoption at the UN of a resolution endorsing the peace plan for Gaza, the humanitarian situation in the Palestinian territory remains “catastrophically”deplored three international NGOs on Thursday, calling on Israel to respect its obligations.

“The humanitarian situation in Gaza remains catastrophic, with significant gaps between commitments made and their implementation on the ground.”denounced Oxfam, Save the Children and Refugees International during a press conference at UN headquarters in New York.

The Security Council resolution adopted in November 2025 to ratify the American peace plan notably provided for the total resumption of humanitarian aid. However, according to associations, Gazans still lack everything. “Israel continues to refuse the entry of essential supplies, such as pipes to repair water networks, shelters, sufficient medical supplies (…) The lack of sanitation and hygiene equipment exposes families to diseases linked to the presence open-air wastewater »a rapporté Abby Maxman, présidente d’Oxfam America.

Update on the night’s news

Nine people injured in Israeli strike which damaged a hospital in southern Lebanon, according to the health ministry, with the Israeli army continuing its raids despite a fragile truce with pro-Iranian Hezbollah.

– A Pentagon official said that US arms sales to Taiwana subject of dispute between Washington and Beijing, were suspended due to ammunition needs linked to the war in the Middle East.