Once again, the UN is raising its voice against Israel, which it accuses of perpetrating genocide in Palestine, Gaza and the West Bank. The United Nations calls on the occupier to prevent acts of genocide and ethnic cleansing.
In a new report, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights said that Israel’s actions in Gaza since the start of the war on October 7, 2023 constituted “blatant violations” of international law, often amounting to “war crimes and other crimes”. atrocities.”
Genocide alert in progress
In the report’s conclusion, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk called on Israel to ensure compliance with a 2024 International Court of Justice order requiring it to take measures to prevent acts of genocide in Gaza. According to him, Israel must ensure “with immediate effect that its army does not engage in acts of genocide, (and take) all necessary measures to prevent and punish incitement to genocide.”
A commission mandated by the UN and several NGOs including Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch have accused Israel of having perpetrated a genocide in Gaza. Israel rejects these allegations as “false” and “anti-Semitic.”
This report, which concerns the period from October 7, 2023 to May 2025, also condemns the “serious violations” committed by Palestinian armed groups. The report also highlights the abuse suffered by hostages captured by Palestinian armed groups, many of whom reported torture and sexual assault while held “in inhumane conditions” for months.
Israël vise « des cibles civiles ou protégées »
The report also devotes a large part to Israel’s actions in Gaza, where its military campaign of retaliation left more than 72,000 dead, according to the Ministry of Health of the territory led by Hamas, whose statistics are considered reliable by the UN. Many of these killings “appear illegal,” the report said, which also highlighted how Israel “carried out attacks against civilian or protected targets.”
These include “health establishments and medical facilities”, as well as civilians, including journalists, health professionals, humanitarian actors and police officers, “in a systematic and repeated manner”.
Palestinians must flee
This Israeli campaign in Gaza has made living conditions in a large part of the territory “incompatible with the survival of Palestinians as a group”, warned the High Commission. He also said that “the use of unnecessary and disproportionate force in the West Bank has led to hundreds of unlawful killings.”
“In the West Bank, the rate of forced displacement of Palestinians has not been this high in decades and the expansion of Israeli settlements is without precedent,†declared Monday to the press in Geneva Ajith Sunghay, who heads the Office of the High Commissioner in the Palestinian Territories. In both territories, “the Israeli army and other security forces have caused large-scale population displacements,” adds the High Commission.
The report notes that violations committed by Israel throughout the occupied Palestinian territories revealed a practice aimed at inflicting “forced displacement, depopulation and ethnic cleansing of large parts of the occupied Palestinian territory.”
Everything you need to know about the humanitarian situation in Gaza
Since then, the fragile ceasefire of last October “has helped reduce the considerable scale of violence observed until then and has opened up room for modest humanitarian maneuver,” declared Ajith Sunghay. “However, killings and destruction of infrastructure have continued almost daily, and the humanitarian situation “The general situation remains disastrous,” he added.


/2023/08/21/64e385df259cf_thibaud-template-live.png)



