Home News Police clear Ocean Boulevard in Hampton after fights break out

Police clear Ocean Boulevard in Hampton after fights break out

4
0

HAMPTON, N.H. – Police in full tactical gear cleared out Ocean Boulevard in Hampton on Tuesday afternoon as thousands of people went to the beach to escape the heat.

The police activity happened between D and C streets, where a large group of people had been gathered earlier.

A downpour hit, and people sought shelter under some awnings. Hampton Police Chief Alex Reno said dozens of fights then broke out in the area, and police called it an unlawful assembly.

New Hampshire State Police came out wearing full tactical gear and moved in a line to clear people from the area.

“The New Hampshire State Police Special Events Response Team (SERT) has responded to Hampton Beach to assist local police with an unlawful assembly,” state police said in a statement. “While troopers are committed to ensuring the safety of all beachgoers, any observed criminal behavior could lead to citations or arrests. We encourage everyone to enjoy the beach and nice weather responsibly.”

Reno said several people were arrested and charged with riot. There were some injuries reported, but nothing serious.

Police planned to continue clearing the area until they deem it to be safe.

Officials expected up to 75,000 people at Hampton Beach on Tuesday as temperatures rose above 90 degrees.

This is a developing story. It will be updated as more information comes in.