- Russia carried out heavy bombings in Ukraine overnight from Saturday to Sunday.
- Emmanuel Macron spoke with his Belarusian counterpart, Alexandre Lukashenko.
- Follow the latest information.
Follow the full coverage
Ukraine: the war enters its 5th year
The highlights
BIÉLORUSSIA
Emmanuel Macron spoke well with the president of Belarus, the president’s entourage confirmed to TF1/LCI.
During this exchange, Emmanuel Macron notably “underlined the risks there were for Belarus in allowing itself to be drawn into Russia’s war of aggression against Ukraine”.
“He also urged Alexander Lukashenko to take the necessary steps to improve relations between Belarus and Europe,” said this source.
Minute by minute
WHO OFFICES AFFECTED
The Ukrainian office of the World Health Organization (WHO) in kyiv was damaged by debris from strikes that occurred overnight, its director general announced on Sunday, calling for an end to attacks against civilians.
During the night, the WHO office “was hit by the debris of one of the numerous strikes on the city, which damaged windows on the second floor”, indicated its director general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, on X, photos at support.
“This building houses many UN agencies, in addition to the WHO. No one was injured,” he said.
Last night @WHOUkraine office in Kyiv was hit by debris from one of many strikes in the city, damaging windows on the 3rd floor. This building is home to many UN agencies besides WHO. No one got injured. Multiple deaths and injuries have been reported so far from the attacks on… pic.twitter.com/6NbJMBobdD — Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus (@DrTedros) May 24, 2026
AN ATTEMPT AT INTIMIDATION?
According to Russian journalist Sergei Buntman, interviewed on LCI, the use of an Orechnik missile allows Vladimir Putin to “intimidate the Ukrainians and above all to find a response to those who criticize him”. Find his analysis in the article below.Â
SEEN ON LCI
MARTA KOSTYUK TÉMOIGNE
Ukrainian player Marta Kostyuk won against Spaniard of Russian origin Oksana Selekhmeteva in the first round of Roland-Garros this Sunday.
A victory sealed a few hours after the fall of a missile near his parents’ home, in Ukraine. “I spent most of the morning feeling nauseous thinking that if (the missile) had fallen 100 meters further, I would no longer have a mother or a sister,” she declared, moved, after the meeting.
REVIEW OF DESTRUCTIONS IN kyiv
All districts of the Ukrainian capital suffered damage after Russian bombing overnight. The strikes caused fires at schools and sowed chaos in busy markets, shopping centers and museums, Mayor Vitali Klitschko said.
The National Art Museum, the Opera, the building of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and that of the studio of the German channel ARD and the media DW also suffered damage, according to these institutions. In addition, the Chernobyl museum was “destroyed”, according to Mr. Zelensky.
OFFICES OF TWO GERMAN CHANNELS DAMAGED
Russian bombings “partially destroyed” the studio of German public television channel ARD and damaged the office of German public broadcaster Deutsche Welle (DW) located in kyiv, the two media announced on Sunday. No injuries were reported.
“Despite the extent of the damage, live coverage from Ukraine continues: production and live broadcast will be ensured using mobile technical solutions and fallback solutions,” ARD reported.
“Russian airstrikes have been massive and merciless for years and are part of the harsh reality of life in Ukraine,” said Vasily Golod, head of the ARD studio in kyiv.
Ukraine has experienced one of the most massive Russian air strikes. Hundreds of drones, dozens of missiles, dead, injured, intense destruction. Pressure waves have also reached the ARD studio in Kyiv. Luckily our team is uninjured. The statics of the building must be checked. pic.twitter.com/vpzzj2PnEi — Vassili Golod (@VassiliGolod) May 24, 2026
BIÉLORUSSIA
Emmanuel Macron spoke well with the president of Belarus, the president’s entourage confirmed to TF1/LCI.
During this exchange, Emmanuel Macron notably “underlined the risks there were for Belarus in allowing itself to be drawn into Russia’s war of aggression against Ukraine”.
“He also urged Alexander Lukashenko to take the necessary steps to improve relations between Belarus and Europe,” said this source.
A VERY DIFFICULT MISSILE TO INTERCEPTE
The Russian army used an Oreshnik missile against Ukraine. This is the third time since the start of the conflict in 2022 that this long-range destructive weapon has been used.
Here’s what you need to know about this missile that Vladimir Putin has already compared to “a meteorite”.
PHONE CALL BETWEEN PARIS AND MINSK
Emmanuel Macron and the President of Belarus, Alexandre Lukashenko, spoke by telephone on Sunday at the initiative of Paris, according to a press release from the Belarusian presidency.
“The two heads of state discussed regional issues as well as Belarus’s relations with the EU and with France in particular,” said this press release, without giving further details.
ROME CONDEMNS THE USE OF THE ORECHNIK MISSILE
The head of the Italian government Giorgia Meloni strongly condemned on Sunday the Russian night attack against Ukrainian targets with the use of the Orechnik ballistic missile.
“I strongly condemn the violent Russian attack which once again hit civilian infrastructure in Ukraine, with a gradual escalation in the importance of the weapons used,” she declared, according to an official statement.
ORECHNIK IS “A FORM OF FLIGHT FORWARD”, DENOUNCES MACRON
The use of the Orechnik ballistic missile, during Russian strikes against Ukraine during the night from Saturday to Sunday, signals “a form of headlong flight” from Moscow and “the impasse of its war of aggression”, reacted Emmanuel Macron on X.
This intermediate-range missile, capable of carrying a nuclear warhead, was fired in a new round of strikes “against civilian objectives in Ukraine”, accused the French president, while the Russian Defense Ministry claimed to have only targeted targets. military targets.
Russian strikes follow one another against civilian objectives in Ukraine, like again last night. France condemns this attack and the use of the Oreshnik ballistic missile, which above all signify a form of headlong flight and the impasse of Russia’s war of aggression.… — Emmanuel Macron (@EmmanuelMacron) May 24, 2026
THE SITUATION IN UKRAINE
The strikes shook buildings in the Ukrainian capital. Our correspondent on site, Guillaume Ptak, summarizes the situation on LCI.
SEEN ON LCI
MISSILE ORECHNIK
The Russian Defense Ministry said on Sunday that it had used intermediate-range and nuclear-capable Orechnik missiles to target Ukraine in nighttime bombings, claiming to have only targeted military targets.
“In response to the terrorist attacks by Ukraine against civilian infrastructure on the territory of Russia, the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation carried out a massive strike using ‘Orechnik’ ballistic missiles, ‘Iskander’ aeroballistic missiles, ‘Kinjal’ hypersonic aeroballistic missiles and ‘Kinjal’ hypersonic aeroballistic missiles. cruise ‘Tsirkon’, as well as cruise missiles” and drones, the ministry declared in a press release. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky denounced earlier in the day an Orechnik missile strike in Bila Tserkva in the kyiv region.
ZELENSKY SAYS AN ORECHNIK MISSILE WAS USED
Russia used a nuclear-capable Orechnik intermediate-range missile against Ukraine during massive and deadly nighttime bombings, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Sunday.
“Three Russian missiles hit a water supply infrastructure, a market burned, dozens of residential buildings damaged, several ordinary schools, and he (Russian President Vladimir Putin, editor’s note) launched his ‘Orechnik’ against Bila Tserkva. They are really crazy,” declared Mr. Zelensky.
Since last night, first responders and all necessary services have been working wherever needed. As of now, at least 83 people have been confirmed injured since midnight. Tragically, there are fatalities. My condolences to the families and loved ones. It was a heavy attack – 90… pic.twitter.com/KSB4IoxQaE — Volodymyr Zelenskyy / Володимир ЗеленÑький (@ZelenskyyUa) May 24, 2026
600 DRONES AND DOZENS OF MISSILES USED BY MOSCOW
Russia targeted Ukraine, and in particular the capital kyiv, with 600 drones and 90 missiles during the night from Saturday to Sunday, the Ukrainian air forces said. In total, the Ukrainian Air Force detected “690 air attack aircraft – 90 missiles and 600 drones of various types”, she said on Telegram on Sunday, including “an intermediate-range ballistic missile”, specifying that 55 missiles and 549 drones were detected. been intercepted.
Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriï Sybiga on Sunday accused Moscow of having carried out “one of the biggest terrorist attacks on kyiv”.
REVIEW AFTER THE RUSSIAN BOMBARDS
The intense Russian bombings which hit kyiv and its region during the night from Saturday to Sunday left four dead and more than 60 injured, according to local authorities. The death toll from nighttime bombings rose to two dead and 56 injured in the hard-hit capital, kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko said on Telegram.
Two people were also killed in the capital region and nine were injured, including a child “who is not even a year old”, said the head of the regional administration Mykola Kalashnyk.
BONJOUR
Welcome to this live broadcast dedicated to the war in Ukraine. Follow here, throughout the day, the latest information as well as insights from our experts and special correspondents.
A few days after a deadly Ukrainian attack on a high school in a region occupied by Russia for which Russian President Vladimir Putin had promised a military response, intense bombings hit kyiv on Sunday, according to journalists on site. The latter heard several series of explosions which shook the buildings, and saw tracer bullets splitting the black sky. They also heard machine gun fire, presumably attempting to shoot down a drone whirring above the city center.
These nighttime attacks by dozens of ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and drones left at least four dead and 21 injured, 13 of whom were hospitalized and three are in serious condition, the mayor of the capital Vitali Klitschko wrote on Telegram.
Missiles of various types and drones
According to the mayor of kyiv, a school was hit in the Shevchenkivsky district, and a strike “à proximité”
of another school establishment led to the blocking, with debris, of the entrance to a shelter where residents were taking refuge.
An air alert has been issued across Ukraine. The attack “massive”
against the capital mobilizes “missiles of various types and drones”
indicated the Ukrainian army. In central Ukraine, Russian bombings left at least seven injured in the Dnipropetrovsk region and eleven in Cherkasy, according to regional authorities.
Caution
Hours earlier, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and the US embassy in kyiv expressed concern about the possibility of an imminent Russian strike against the country.
“We see signs of preparations for a combined strike on Ukrainian territory, including kyiv, involving various types of weapons,”
notably the intermediate-range Orechnik missile, President Zelensky warned on Saturday, calling on the population to “act with responsibility”
and to go to shelters in the event of an alert. The American embassy in kyiv also had “received information regarding a potentially significant aerial attack which could occur at any time”,
according to a press release on its website.
Putin promised a military response
Read also
Putin accuses Ukraine of having bombed a high school in territory occupied by Russia, kyiv defends itself
The Russian military deployed the Orechnik, its newest nuclear-capable hypersonic missile, last year in Belarus. This country, allied with Moscow, borders three member states of NATO and the European Union – Poland, Lithuania and Latvia – as well as Ukraine. Moscow has already used the Orechnik twice since the start of its invasion of Ukraine in February 2022: in November 2024 against a military factory, and in January 2026 against an aircraft factory in western Ukraine, near the borders of the Atlantic Alliance. In both cases, the missiles were not loaded with nuclear warheads.
Russian President Vladimir Putin had promised a military response after a Ukrainian drone strike on the night of Thursday to Friday on educational buildings in Starobilsk, in the Ukrainian region of Luhansk (east) occupied by Moscow, which left at least 18 dead and more than 40 injured. kyiv denied targeting civilian targets and claimed to have struck a Russian drone unit stationed in the region. President Zelensky called on the international community to do “pression”
on Russia to dissuade it from such an attack and warned that Ukraine “would respond fully and equally to every Russian strike.”
/2023/06/26/64993729e7732_yann-thompson-e1464e0319.png)



