Home Culture Movie theater. Anti-Bolloré column: the Minister of Culture regrets the “disproportionate” response...

Movie theater. Anti-Bolloré column: the Minister of Culture regrets the “disproportionate” response of…

6
0

The world of cinema has been in turmoil since the threat made on Sunday, in the middle of the Cannes Film Festival, by the boss of Canal+, to boycott the signatories of a column denouncing “the growing influence of the extreme right” in the 7th art under the influence of Vincent Bolloré, the group’s reference shareholder audiovisual. Initially launched by 600 professionals, this forum now has more than 2,000 signatories, according to the Zapper Bolloré collective.

This Tuesday, during questions to the government, the Minister of Culture Catherine Pégard said she regretted the “disproportionate” response from the boss of Canal. “The major place of this company in cinema gives it a voice that counts. I regret that the response, disproportionate at the very least, given to the very real concerns that were expressed, arouses them,” said the minister.

“Amidst the concerns and criticisms of professionals, legitimate concerns, I would like reason and dialogue to prevail over threats,” she added. “Our cultural industries must not be exploited for political purposes,” stressed the minister, also attacking the authors of the text. “We must not be the game of controversies which weaken our greatest successes by attacking week after week these different pillars accused of being at the service of political ideologies.”

This content is blocked because you have not accepted cookies and other trackers.

By clicking on “I accept”cookies and other trackers will be placed and you will be able to view the contents (more information).

By clicking on “I accept all cookies”you authorize the deposit of cookies and other tracers for the storage of your data on our sites and applications for personalization and advertising targeting purposes.

You can withdraw your consent at any time by consulting our data protection policy.
Manage my choices


Call for mediation

Earlier in the morning, Arcom president Martin Ajdari expressed the hope that the situation would calm down. “I think that there are still many actors who need to talk to each other, to come down a bit after the heated controversies,” he declared. “Cinema needs Canal+ and Canal+ needs cinema,” he insisted.

At the same time, the Society of Film Directors (SRF), which brings together 500 filmmakers, proposed mediation between the signatories of the platform and the Canal+ film teams. The SRF, of which Cédric Klapisch is vice-president, says it is “in solidarity” with professionals “who freely express their opinions and legitimate concerns” and affirms “to condemn any resulting exclusion”. But she also admits that Canal+ “has always ensured the freedom and independence of creation” and expresses the hope “that it will continue to be the same in the years to come”.